The Service Employees International Union is one of America’s largest labor unions. Behind a thin veneer of concern for its largely low-wage members lies a $260 million war chest, a dedicated effort to infringe employees’ rights in the workplace, a highly partisan political operation, and a history of intimidation, crime and corruption.
- SEIU Facts: Get the facts about SEIU’s $260 million war chest, dedicated to harassing businesses, electing friendly politicians, and paying SEIU leadership’s hefty salaries.
- Attacks on Employee Rights: Through policies of corporate intimidation, deceptive “worker center” front groups, and political power plays, SEIU and its organizers attack employee rights.
- Power Politics: The SEIU is a major funder of Democratic politicians and puts its purse behind efforts to compel more people to join SEIU and fund its political program, whether they support SEIU’s Democratic partisanship or not.
- Terrible Tactics: As part of its anti-employee-rights “corporate campaign” strategy, SEIU organizers have allegedly engaged in despicable tactics including overrunning emergency rooms, sabotaging nursing home patient identification, and besieging businessmen’s children in their homes.
- Crime and Corruption: SEIU officers have been charged with crimes related to thefts from union bank accounts, including embezzlement of funds used to elect a Los Angeles City Councilman.
It all boils down to a quote by former SEIU International President Andy Stern: “If we can’t use the power of persuasion, we’ll use the persuasion of power.”